This past February,
I walked out of a movie theater after seeing the film “Lion,” and
I remember thinking to myself and saying to Fred, “Wow, that’s a
whole different ball game, adopting a child who remembers his birth
family. That would be hard. I can't imagine.” And I silently felt thankful that our
boys did not remember what they lost… that they had all been too
young when separated from their birth families to remember that
specific trauma of being left, of being abandoned, of losing all they
know. One day they were part of a family, the next they weren’t.
The movie was extremely well done and even my husband, who NEVER
cries while watching movies, had to wipe away some salty tears. The
scene where Saroo’s parents met him for the first time at the
airport was a memorable one for me. Their joy of finally having their
precious son, holding him and touching him, felt very familiar yet I
found myself cringing at the irony of it. The twisted fact that in
all adoption there is loss. It was heartbreaking and emotionally
painful to watch how the boy got to that point in his young life...
all the trauma he endured on his own after losing his mother and
siblings. And then he was taken from his home country where people
looked like him, they spoke a language he could understand, and the
food smelled and tasted familiar and comforting. And one day he lost
all of that, too. Enter the adoptive parents who have hopes and
dreams for him and only want to give him love and a family, which is
what every child craves and, not only wants, but needs. That moment of meeting your new child is an awkward, surreal, unbelievably beautiful and possibly
gut-wrenching experience.
I remember thinking,
I’m pretty sure I couldn’t handle that situation. I would surely
mess up in parenting through that kind of trauma and loss in a child’s life.
And anyway, we’re done adopting, I thought to myself. We’re still
navigating the tricky waters of older child adoption and parenting
child who has grown up in an orphanage. Even though we’re floating
along fine on most days, there are definitely waves that knock me
down and I struggle with how to best respond in those times. All three of
our boys from China are truly and deeply part of our family and
honestly, we don’t have a lot of questions or talk about their life
before us. We are open to those conversations whenever they come up,
mostly with Andrew, but it’s few and far between. We see the
repercussions of what growing up without a family will do to a child,
and we talk about this with him and dig deep, deep down to show as
much grace as we can muster during those times. It’s
faith-stretching for sure. I’ve said it before, God does not call
the equipped, He equips the called.
In February of 2014, exactly three years and a day before Fred and I walked into that movie
theater, a young boy was found in a “safe haven” just outside of
a very large orphanage in Guangzhou, China. The boy was estimated to
be about four years old and was assigned a birthday of four years
prior to the day. He was checked out by a doctor and believed to have
thalassemia based on the lab work and his appearance. He was taken
inside the orphanage where he met many new adults and many new
children and he has lived there ever since. I do not know the
circumstances in which he lived prior to that day. But I can assume
that whomever was caring for him and loving him, could no longer
provide the medical treatment he needed to live. So when the
government opened up the safe haven buildings in large cities in
January of 2014, his parents or grandparents, or other family
members, brought him to that safe haven so that he would have a
chance. It was not a selfish choice; it was a completely selfless
decision. Yet, at the age of four, how would he understand that? How
could he know that his family wanted him to live, that they had done
their best to get him the blood he needed during his first 3-4 years,
but that the burden was too much to bear? How could he know this? Of
course... he couldn’t.
So while our other
boys may get to the point one day of realizing why their birth
families gave them up (Andrew already gets it as he was told by
nurses in China how expensive his medicine is and what a burden it
would be to a family), they will never be able to remember the
abandonment. Their brains have been effected by trauma and by not
having a family unit during the first years of their lives, but they
cannot consciously recall the moment it was all lost.
But it is likely
that Luke can. And even though I am aware of the fact that he was
abandoned at an older age, I still try to protect my thoughts from
wallowing in that sorrow, in that immensely painful experience. Yet I
know one day I will need to journey down that path with him, through
the shadows of fear and pain and loss. His pain will be my pain. And I pray that God gives me
the wisdom and the courage to take it all in and let my son feel
comfortable enough with me to share that part of his life so that I
can help him care for those scars that may never truly heal. I pray
that he knows Jesus. I pray that my son feels the unconditional and
never-failing love of God in his heart and that even though he’s
experienced more trauma in his young life than most people ever do, I
hope he is able to find a way to let God’s love and His grace shine
throughout his life. I want him to know his worthy. He is so worthy
of love and he doesn’t have to prove anything to us, he’s already
got our love. He doesn’t have to worry that we will leave, we will
ALWAYS be here. He doesn’t have to be perfect, God has loved him
from the beginning. My goodness, what a blessing to be able to teach
him that.
There are times I
struggle as a mom. Every mom does (and dad for that matter.) There
are times when I think, “Wait, we are adopting again? We are going
to have 5 BOYS?!? I don’t think I can handle that. What if I’m
screwing them up, what if we don’t do this right, what if they
actually drive me insane, what if this is more than we can handle?”
But I know the feelings of doubt are not truly me but the evil that
hates adoption…. that hates when God’s glory and grace is
displayed in real life. When the evil in the world wants to drain me,
that is when I get real thankful… thankful for the burden God has
placed on our hearts to adopt, thankful for the six, soon to be
seven, children he has given to us as gifts, thankful for the
opportunity to step outside my comfort zone and my bubble, and to
overcome fear of the unknown and TRUST that God knows what He’s
doing. God didn’t say it would all work out perfectly. He didn’t
say that we’d do it all right. He didn’t say that it wouldn’t
be hard. He knows all that has happened and that will happen, I’m
just doing my best to follow and learn to live how Jesus taught. It’s
not easy, but it’s simple... it all revolves around trust, not in
ourselves and our abilities but in a God that wants us to do hard
things... and always have hope.
From the outside,
our family may seem like unicorns and rainbows OR it may seem
completely crazy, depends who you ask;) I can tell you, it’s
neither. We are just regular ordinary parents with hopes, dreams and
expectations for our own lives as well as the lives of our children.
Every single one of us is flawed. Sometimes the flaws of certain family members clash with the
flaws of another family member. We
struggle, we mess up, we act in ways we shouldn’t. But we forgive
and we hold close the truths that God has made clear. I don’t want
to live my life within the context of falsehoods and narrow vision. I
want to see life through God’s eyes as much as possible.
Two days before we
saw the movie “Lion”, on the day of Luke’s birthday (February 17th), I
had posted on Facebook about a sweet boy named “Evan” who had
thalassemia and was newly listed with an adoption agency. Something
about this boy grabbed me, but really there are A LOT of cute kids
who are being advocated for. But something about him seemed just
slightly familiar, something in the way he looked at the camera,
something deep in his eyes caught me off-guard. I figured he would find a family fairly
quickly. He seemed smart and cute and had a medical need that more and more
people are open to. I told Joshua about him (they are just about
exactly a year apart in age) and we prayed that his family would find
him and he could get the medicine and blood he needed. Joshua is
acutely aware of why he sticks himself with a needle each night to
infuse his medicine. He knows how important it is for him since he
still has iron overload in his organs from the blood transfusions. We
don’t miss a dose (even when we forgot to turn on the pump at night
that one time a couple of years ago and he had to wear it to school
but he didn’t want to wear it and mommy got maybe a little too
emotional when I explained why it was so important to chelate the
iron out…. Yeah, let some tears well up, and he knows I’m
serious.) So for him to
understand that there are children in China with thalassemia and they
don’t have medicine and they don't get enough blood, that’s not gonna fly with him. It doesn’t
sit well with my sweet boy. It wasn’t long before Joshua told me after prayers one
night that he wanted us to “go get that boy in China.” “Ha, ha,
ha…. Oh, Joshua…. Yes, well, it’s not that simple...and you
know we already have 6 kids in our family... and we just got home
from China with Andrew… and, etc... I’m sure he will get a family
soon.” Months went by, some families were interested, many people
fell in love with this boy online. I thought at one point he was
about to get a family, but it was not to be. More advocating, more
praying and the prayers made it around the house. Andrew started
praying for him at the dinner table; we had his picture on our
refrigerator and every time I walked from the dining room to the
kitchen, there was this boy was giving me a shy smile and following me with
this eyes! More advocating but yet starting to really think, maybe we are
his family?? And in early June when Fred and I both felt God’s call
to this boy, we found ourselves having serious conversations about it
and everything felt good and right and even though we weren’t SURE
how it would all work out, we knew we needed to say ‘Yes’ to this
boy. It’s as if God gives us this gift, and it’s not a passive
thing that you put on your shelf and admire, it’s like the gift of a
journey that turns out to be the adventure of a lifetime... and you
are going to work hard for this gift and there will be days it will
drain you, but then it will fill up your cup until it’s
overflowing. This gift is messy and unpredictable and beautiful and
more fulfilling than you could ever imagine.
I don’t want to
plan out the rest of my life. I don’t know what is best for me. If
I had thought about it 4 years ago, I would DEFINITELY not have
planned on having 5 boys. Nope, because I’m just not the best chaos
coordinator. Really, it gets to me sometimes. The energy level is
high, people… I’m not really a high energy person (maybe I’m
low-energy;). I can get easily frustrated and overreact to silly
things. Believe me, I wouldn’t have chosen me! But God brought me
on this journey and I’ve learned that He wanted me to stretch so
that He could shine. He wants me to lean, so that He can hold me up.
And He wants me to give the glory to Him, so I will.
And because He is
the author of my life, I have these precious children, all of them
gifts. All of them with talents and gifts to give to the world. Often
I look at my Andrew and the radiant, charismatic person that he is, who loves big and falls hard. And I think, What if he was still in the
orphanage? He would be in pain from his hemophilia, he wouldn’t
have an education, he would barely leave the building, he would be
essentially on his own… He would have never gotten the chance to
show the world all he’s going to do and all the people he’s going
to touch in his life. What a tragedy that would have been. Our yes
to him has rocked our world in many ways. But I’d much rather live
in the current of life than be left along the shore. We are to ask God what he
asks of us. It might turn our world upside down, but this life is
not meant to be our own anyway.
For the past several
months I keep having to recount… it seems like someone is missing…
yes, six kids is a lot relatively speaking in our society but we
don’t feel as big as we look. And not long after we got approval to
adopt Luke back in the summer, I started to get the feeling every now
and again that someone who was supposed to be here was not here. It’s
not a conscious acknowledgement of the fact we are in the adoption
process and we are waiting to bring him home, it’s a primal
momma-instinct feeling. Like we’re missing a piece. Truth be told,
I really have no clue how Luke will fit into our family. Could be
fairly easy, could be a real struggle. I expect the unexpected. I
cannot imagine or put myself in his shoes. I just can’t. So I will
try to stifle any expectations that I may have in my mind
about him. We will do our best to meet him wherever he is and simply
be there, be present. It will take a long time for him to know, to truly and
deeply know, that we are forever. But I pray he can feel that. I pray for patience and guidance and lots of grace on our part.
We are coming soon, buddy. You're about to get some awesome brothers and sisters who are so excited to welcome you into their world.
|
There are times it certainly seems surreal that we are actually getting back on a plane to go back to China to bring home another boy for the 4th time in 4 years. Logic is not steering the boat here, obviously. Thank goodness.



Alison! Every time I read your posts, I am blown away by how you write, the depth of what you write and your insight. I had a really hard time getting through this one without my eyes tearing over. Not from sadness but it how amazing your sweet family is. We had some struggles with one of our own in the early years and I know how hard it was for our family to make it through that. I know that you and Fred and all 7 of your children will make it through with trials but much grace. The whole Dri/Dewberry family has been blessed and I cant wait to hear of Luke's homecoming.
ReplyDelete