the Fam

the Fam

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Happy at Home - 2 weeks later

Wow, time has flown by since we arrived home over a week ago (now getting close to 2 weeks since I can't seem to get this blog posted!  NOW it's past 2 weeks, we've been busy ). Sam is settling in more and more each day. It was so amazing to see the kids at the airport. What an emotional reunion for all of us. Once we got in the car, it felt so natural, like he was meant to be in our family. I think the age difference is just right for us.


The kids had fun showing him all his new toys!



When we first arrived home, he was terrified of Chloe. He was walking through the house, saw her looking through deck door and FREAKED OUT. He was really scared. So Uncle Alan offered to take Chloe for a couple of days so he could get used to his siblings and his new house before he faced his fear.
Also, Fred and I were completely exhausted. We both wanted to curl up in a ball in a dark room and sleep, but we kinda had four kids to take care of so.....

In the first few days we figured out the sleeping situation needed to be changed. Having the crib in Daniel's room was not working. Daniel was sleeping in Ella's top bunk (so he was kicked out of his room) and I was sleeping on the bottom bunk in the room with Sam and usually with Sam in the bed with me:/  We decided to move the crib into our room and he was more comfortable and has been sleeping in his crib each night until at least 5am (then moves into our bed often.) He needs this emotional support now and close proximity to us. We are all getting sleep and that is THE BEST!

So for 2-3 days after Chloe came home, he screamed when he saw her, he was scared if she walked his way (heck, he was scared if he came upon her sleeping on the floor.) But by the 4th day he started petting her a little and a couple more days went by and he's laying on her and hugging her like he's the biggest dog lover in our family.




Sam is one laid-back boy 90% of the time. He goes with the flow, which is great for our family since we are on the go a lot. He's been to soccer practice, soccer games, out to eat, a baby shower, multiple stores, his grandparents' house, the elementary school, the preschool, the jumpy house place and he takes it all in stride. He's getting used to meeting new people and making eye contact and saying "Hi." He especially loves them if they give him yummy food:)

 He is sweet and always shows concern when someone is hurt or upset. He likes playing with balls, likes going outside, likes wandering around the house checking out different things. Won't sit still, not interested in TV shows, likes to sit in his high chair, LOVES to eat and has tried a variety of foods, always sneezes three times in a row, can say his siblings' names pretty well, won't nap in crib but will fall asleep in the car or on the couch in the morning. He's independent and will wander away from me outside or in public. He's learning words like please, thank you, more, eat. He calls me 'mama' and Fred 'Daddy' (or mama). He often tries to repeat words we say and I know he understands more than he can say.  Still refers to Chloe as "gogo" but really loves her. 

He did so well with Halloween (which was only 5 days after we got home!) Not scared of anything really. I guess we all look like freaks to him:) He lasted the whole time we were out and hung with the big kids. It helped that our wonderful friends had a trailer for us to ride in:)



Big fan of chocolate:)


We have some doctors' appointments this week for check-ups with the pediatrician and cardiologist. I have a feeling everything will check out fine but it will be comforting to know for certain.  Sam also has his 2nd birthday coming up next Sunday the 17th! We are looking forward to a big family celebration and lots of yummy food, new toys, and of course CAKE! 


So, to wrap it up, it feels like he's been part of our family for much longer than 2 weeks. He's a natural Dri:)  The kids have been so wonderful with him. All of them. I don't think Sam could have asked for better big sisters and big bro. We all love him so much and I know he feels that. I know how blessed we are. I'm not sure I can even fully grasp it though, in my head. Sometimes life is like that. It's not too perfect, because nothing we do is, but it feels "just right." It feels like home. And I know we will have our ups and downs and our difficult moments and uncomfortable feelings, but I know we'll get through. I have such confidence in our family. And even though we won't make all the "right" decisions, Sam is gonna know he is loved and he will know he belongs in this family for the rest of his life. And that makes me happy.



Until next time, I leave you with some pictures...


"What greater thing is there for human souls than to feel that they are joined for life; to be with each other in silent unspeakable memories."
-George Eliot






"Family life is full of major and minor crises - the ups and downs of health, success and failure in career, marriage, and divorce - and all kinds of characters. It is tied to places and events and histories. With all of these felt details, life etches itself into memory and personality. It's difficult to imagine anything more nourishing to the soul."
-Thomas Moore









3 comments:

  1. So happy he is fitting right on in with the gang! He looks like he is a really sweet boy! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is SO perfect for your family!! LOVE seeing you all finally together forever :)

    ReplyDelete